Category Archives: Hot Deals
For the first time ever, 12 of Chicago’s most beloved institutions will come together for seven days of exclusive offers, events, special programs and giveaways. Running from Oct. 1-7, 2015, the Chicago Museum Week is hosted by Museums in the Park, and is designed for Chicagoans and visitors to become reacquainted with the renowned Museums of our city.
Here are highlights of some of the discounts, special events and activities that are being offered. Don’t miss your chance to see some of these great museums for FREE! The official hashtag for Museum Week is #ChicagoMuseumWeek.
Several museums will be offering free general admission to Illinois residents during Museum Week:
- Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum, Oct. 1
- The Field Museum, Oct. 4
- Museum of Science and Industry, Oct. 5 and 6
- Shedd Aquarium, Oct. 5 and 6
- Museum of Contemporary Art, Oct. 6
Admission is always free at:
- Lincoln Park Zoo
- National Museum of Mexican Art
- National Museum of Puerto Rican Arts & Culture
Each museum will offer specials, including discounts on general admission and memberships, extended hours, free tours, new exhibits, educational programs and giveaways.
Discounts on membership:
- Adler Planetarium: $10 off any level
- Chicago History Museum: 20% off membership
- DuSable Museum of African American History: half-price individual memberships
- Museum of Science and Industry: $20 off any standard membership
- Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum: $15 off one-year memberships and $25 off 2-year memberships
Discounts on admission:
- DuSable Museum of African American History: 2-for-1 tickets; 10% off at café or store
- Chicago History Museum: $4 off; 20% off at café or store
- Museum of Contemporary Art: $5 off if you bring in a receipt from another museum visited during Museum Week
- National Museum of Mexican Art: 15% off at café or store
- National Museum of Puerto Rican Arts & Culture: 10% off at café or store
- Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum: $5 off if you bring in a receipt from another museum visited during Museum Week and 10% off at café or store
- Shedd Aquarium: Get exclusive purchase when you buy in advance online; and special discount offers on Extraordinary Experiences
Special museum access:
- Museum of Contemporary Art will host MCA Prime Time on Friday, Oct. 2, 7-11 p.m. The event will include live music, performance art, film screenings and interactive programs.
- Chicago History Museum will keep its doors open late on Tuesday, Oct. 6, 5-8 p.m., to allow visitors to explore exhibitions with museums curators and staff and engage with history on special tours.
- Adler Planetarium will offer an exclusive Museum Week Sky Show.
- DuSable Museum of African American History will offer special guided tours of the museum.
- Chicago History Museum will premier 30-minute highlight tours of “Chicago: Crossroads of America,” as well as offer excursion tours to Union Station, Old Town, Gold Coast, Lincoln Park and on the CTA Blue and Brown lines during Museum Week.
- The National Museum of Puerto Rican Arts & Culture will open the exhibit “Metamorphosis of Divine Entanglements” from Chicago artist Oscar Luis Martinez.
- The Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum will open “City Creatures: Animal Encounters in the Chicago Wilderness” and “Peanuts…Naturally.”
- Adler Planetarium will offer fall family science activities throughout the week and story time with Curious George on Oct. 5.
- The Art Institute of Chicago will offer daily tours and open the Artist’s Studio onOct. 3 and 4 for free drop-in family art-making.
- Lincoln Park Zoo’s Fall Fest, Oct. 2-4, will include fun rides, a hay maze, and educational activities, and its Pritzker Family Children’s Zoo will be transformed into a pumpkin patch.
- The Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum will offer special events daily, from “Meet Our Butterflies” to “Turtle Tuesday.” Oct. 4 is the Harvest Hop 5K and Harvest Festival, featuring carnival games, autumn treats, and a live bluegrass band. Every visitor to the Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum will be given an entry to win a LIFETIME membership to the museum.
- Shedd Aquarium will offer daily animal chats.
My Private Chef Appears
at Taste of Chicago/in the Kitchen with Mariano’s
Chef Christopher Tong, one of Chicagoland’s most accomplished chefs and a favorite of Taste of Chicago will appear again this year “In the Kitchen with Mariano’s”.
Chef Tong’s cooking demonstration at the Taste of Chicago is one of My Private Chef’s most popular annual appearances.
He will demonstrate how to prepare a delicious summertime dish: Seared Shrimp, Avocado and Jicama Cocktail with Mango-Chipolte Vinaigrette.
People who are casual cooks or lovers of gourmet food get to ask questions and and come away with great cooking tips.
Chef Chris will appear on Sunday, July 12, 2015 at 2:30 pm in the Mariano’s Cooking Demonstration Stage at the Northwest Corner of Buckingham Fountain Plaza.
The 35th Annual Taste of Chicago is July 8-12 in Grant Park. Admission is Free. For details, visit www.tasteofchicago.us
My Private Chef is enjoying popularity as one of Chicago’s favorite private gourmet dining services. Trained in European-style fine cuisine, Chef Tong established his reputation at fine restaurants and hotels in Florida, California, and Chicago. Now he has adapted his impressive skills to the world of private entertaining. My Private Chef offers enticing cuisine for a wide range of events, from intimate dinners to weddings to corporate parties.
Chicago’s museums are world-class, but all those bones, weather simulators and rides in Chicago’s first El train car don’t come cheap. Throw in parking, special exhibits, and the gift shop, and it adds up fast.
But in the philanthropic spirit of our fine city, most museums offer free admission for Illinois residents on certain days. Here’s a complete calendar for the coming month. You’re on your own in the gift shop.
Free days can change at the last minute, so ALWAYS call first to confirm before heading out to the museums. And please note that these are for Illinois residents only in most cases.
Free for all Illinois residents from 5-8 p.m. Thursdays. Kids 13 and under are always free.
Free Winter Weekdays: Jan. 5-Feb. 10, free to Illinois residents every weekday.
January: 5-9, 12-15, 19-23, 26-30
August: 18-20, 24-27, 31
January: 7, 14-15
Always free Tuesdays 10 a.m.-8 p.m. for Illinois residents; children 12 and under are free every day.
From October through May, the second Saturday of the month is free for families with children 12 and under.
January: 5-9; 12-16, 19-23, 26-30 (i.e. weekdays in January starting Jan. 5)
February: Kids 3-11 are free all month (two free kids tickets permitted per purchase of one paying adult).
February: 2-3, 9-10, 13-17, 23-24
June: 1-2, 8-9, 15-16
September: 8, 14-15, 21-22, 28-29
October: 5-6, 12-13, 19-20, 26-27
November: 2-3, 9-10, 16-17, 23-24
Thursdays are free for Illinois residents. Children under 3 are free every day.
Roll out your sleeping bag and stay the night at one of the most magical environments in Chicago: Waters of the World galleries at Shedd Aquarium.
After exploring exhibits with wondrous creatures hailing from coral reefs, flooded rain forests, the craggy Pacific Northwest coast and beyond by day, you and your little ones will get to sleep amidst them by night. But not before participating in a fun evening’s worth of activities, including an obstacle course, scavenger hunt, animal stories, crafts, a movie and more! Dinner, a snack and breakfast are included in the price of your ticket.
Dates: Jan. 30, Feb. 6, Feb. 20, March 6 and March 20
Ticket options include:
Regular: $75/person ($60/person for members)
Reserve your spot at our overnight with this Regular ticket!
VIP: $90/person ($75/person for members)
Bring your air mattress, receive VIP seating at the aquatic show and enjoy other perks with your VIP ticket!
GOLDSTAR has $45 tickets for Jan 30th!!
Push the limits of your imagination.
HAWTHORNE RACE COURSE
3501 S. Laramie Ave
Sign up now – save 10% with
promo code “pep”
Divvy is your Chicago Bike Sharing System
with thousands of bicycles available to you 24/7.
Divvy is Chicago’s bike sharing system with 4,000 bikes and 400 stations
across the city. Intended to provide Chicagoans with an additional
transportation option for getting around the city, Divvy is fun, easy,
LAKEVIEW will get 40 MORE locations this month! 40? Really! That’s a bit much for an area with lots of car congestion. Just sayin.
Check out the Lakeview locations map by Andy Ambrosius at Lakeview Patch.
Sign up for Membership today. Now open for riding!
is a monthly market featuring the finest selection of vendors in one
place: the modern, lofted halls of the River East Art Center. Join us
once a month to celebrate Chicago’s most dynamic gathering of innovative
fashion, artisan food and high design.
$10 gets you in – Free cocktails and food tastings and Fabulous shopping!
You heard it here first: this is the finest drinking vodka on the planet and it wears its Chicago stars with pride. Next Star Vodka make
their DOSE debut with gratis pours of their stellar Chicago mule —
ginger beer, lime juice and their fanatic-inspiring spirit — the perfect
way to get ready for your Très Awesome photoshoot.
favorite outfit (or build it at the Market and get plenty of help) and
find yourself on the sweep in front of Chicago’s reigning street-style
maven, Emma Arnold of Très Awesome. With
seriously cool technology, you’ll not only get a great shot, you’ll
have a shot at winning some fantastic Spring accessories.
finest brews, wines and spirits free of charge if you’re the appropriate
age. We realize, though, different strokes for different folks. You may
now trade in your drink ticket for DOSE h2o!
CHI will be providing DOSE-goers the opportunity to try the service and
snag a free ride to the Market this Sunday! Just enter the code
ILOVEDOSE for a $15 credit toward your first ride.